Monday, November 16, 2009

Long Torso, Short Legs...

[Thanks for everyone's questions that you sent in. I'm really excited to start tackling them. I hope that you'll find my two cents helpful.]

Diane wrote in:

"My problems with my wardrobe generally lie in my not knowing how to translate the cute outfits I see on others into something that is garment-compatible and works with my long-bodied, short-legged, busty, narrow-hipped self. Or maybe it's that I lack confidence when it comes to breaking out of my jeans-and-tshirt box. But anyway....could you help me out?"

Yes I can!

First of all, there are a few tricks for the making the legs and torso look more balanced. One of the easiest ways is to make belts your new best friend. You may need to wear them higher than what might feel natural, but by adding a belt to the mix at the right height you can shorten your torso and add length to the bottom half. The other thing to keep in mind with belts if you wear them with your pants you should match the belt to yourpants. If the belt matches your shirt, it will give the illusion that your shirt is continuing down further, thus making your torso appear even longer. This is what Oprah would call an "Ah-hah! moment," right ladies? And Mark? He's my one male reader. Love Mark.
Another thing to keep in mind is to stay away from low rise pants, and instead, go for ones that have a higher rise. Same thing for skirts. And, good thing for you, that's hot right now, so it won't be hard to find. A high-waisted pencil skirt would look great on you as well because of your narrow-hips.


Empire waist blouses and dresses will also elongate your legs and get you to that proportion you're looking for.
I also always tell people who are concerned about leg length not to wear a pant with a cuff on the bottom because it shortens your leg. Pinstripes will help elongate your legs as well.

Also, if you're wearing pants, a shirt and jacket of some sort, either a blazer or a suit jacket, try keeping the shirt and the bottoms monochromatic so it's hard to tell where the top and bottom break.
Keep the skirt, if it is a skirt, short, keeping in mind that the hemline should hit you right above the knee where your leg indents.


Thanks Diane, for your question. I hope you find this helpful!!!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Love it, love it! and I will be working on those tips ASAP.

    ReplyDelete